POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : More Vista problems : Re: More Vista problems (delayed reply) Server Time
29 Apr 2024 22:33:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More Vista problems (delayed reply)
From: BobH
Date: 26 May 2009 00:12:37
Message: <4a1b6c35$1@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <tDOTdegroot@interDOTnlANOTHERDOTnet> wrote in message
news:4a0c287b$1@news.povray.org...

> "BobH" <omniverse*charter!net> schreef in bericht
>> using Windows 7 (Beta and now RC) awhile now and haven't gone back to
>> Vista (unless I must).
>>
> Sheer curiosity: How is POV behaving under Windows7?

Sorry Thomas, hadn't seen you ask this until just now. Been going through so
many other messages a little at a time.

Overall Windows 7's main positive side is quick start-up from off. Being on
a notebook here that's a major advantage over earlier Windows'. Another plus
is the ease of installing/running programs compared to Vista default
behavior of prompting for permission. That still exists to some degree but
it isn't so annoying now.

That said, I haven't timed renders to see if there's a change but it just
seems better.
POV 3.6 and 3.7 do well, without needing to make adjustments to Windows
itself, only the usual POV option for file write permission into a non-POV
location.
P-R 3.7 beta is actually the best since it installs with user files placed
in a documents\pov-ray subfolder, as you might already know. I'm hoping
Chris can make this happen for the redone version 3.6(.2).
Anyway, no problems encountered running POV under W7.

Bob